“Email marketing is more than just broadcasting your promotions to a database of emails and praying to get conversions.”
When it comes down to grabbing and retaining eyeballs, email is proven to be the best.
Proof: 95% of online consumers use email to buy goods and services and 77% of consumers prefer email for communications plus the mind-boggling success of MyOperator all thanks to their marketing maverick Chirayu Akotiya.
We felt honored when Mr. Akotiya accepted our invite to spill his secrets to the HelloMeets community on the topic: Email Marketing.
Here is the exclusive and unfiltered crux of his learning in this field:
Phase 1: Equipping Yourself
1. The Broadcast List- Baby Steps
Many marketers wonder how to get a good email list from scratch. There is an astonishingly simple way to tackle this problem:
1. The Search
Simply post blogs about your product/service on different networking sites and form relevant groups. Alternatively you can also search for already formed groups and if you get lucky then there could be a thread where somebody has asked for emails. This happens more often than you would expect it to.
2. E-mail Extractions
3. The Necessary Touch Up
Associating names to these emails is a hit and trial scenario as most emails have the first-name of the person followed by the last-name followed by a number like their birth-year.
Google sheets and Excel have simple formulas that can split the contents of a cell into multiple cells based on a separator like a number.
Once your email list becomes large and organised enough, say 2000+, you may need to divide your list into chunks based on user’s preferences as you have to keep it least intrusive and so that you don’t annoy the customers with unwanted content.
“Its okay if your database is not large enough. Getting 1000 conversions out of 1,00,000 emails is better than 100 out of a billion”
Emailing without knowing the email address!
What if we told you that you can send someone an email without even knowing his/her email address. This can be done with the help of Facebook.
If a Facebook account user has used his personal email address while creating his/her Facebook account then the profile link can be used to send that person emails on his personal email address.
https://www.facebook.com/vj.nitin. This is Nitin Joseph’s link to his profile on Facebook. In order to send an email on his connected email firstname.lastname@example.org all one has to do is send that email email@example.com. where “vj.nitin” is taken from the profile link.
Facebook will automatically forward it to his inbox! Go ahead and try this on your own Facebook link!
“Why beat around the bush and check complex analytics to assess success in email marketing. Getting good conversions is the best metric there is period”
Phase 2: Things to keep in mind
The 3Rs of Email Marketing
1. The Right Time to broadcast the mails2. The Relevant people who will receive the mail
3. The Right way to present the content
This is a trifecta that will not only please your selective audience but will also keep the load on you to the minimum.
5 Points to keep in mind for a Good Email:
- Personalize each message: Using the receiver’s name in Subject as well as the body of the text makes the user feel special and it may even hit the emotional chords.
- Using track able links: Obviously this helps you analyse the conversion rates through emails.
- Using bullets: In an email, long paragraphs of text are often overlooked as they subconsciously feel fatiguing to the eyes.
- Always use a C.T.A. (Call to Action) Button : This is where you embed whatever you want the reader to do after he reads the email. Maybe a transaction or a link to a webpage for detailed information etc.
- Don’t forget the mobile experience: Its the users choice to view your content on which device so you have to take care of both desktop and mobile experience.
What Future holds for Email:
In the future…
We’ll continue to see email automation tools become even more useful, offering email marketers more ways to creatively use them. We can expect to see more integration with apps and products, allowing marketers to send emails based on not only in-app behavior but other interactions as well. We’ll also see an ever expanding list of triggers, allowing us to send targeted messages based on all sorts of details, completely customized to the individual user, and giving greater context to our messages.
Until now, most marketers have been using low-scale automation across the most lucrative customer touch-points and experiences — examples include cart abandonment emails and welcome messages. But that will transcend with the onset of a strong and flexible AI in this field.
- In order to maintain the load on the servers Google doesn’t download images to the recipients email address automatically this is obviously not good for email marketers hence to make sure that the images that you attach to the emails are in the .webp format as this format bypasses that barrier. You can use Format Factory to achieve this feat.
- Many marketing domain names get blacklisted (which mean that from now on ANY email that are sent from ANY ID of that domain will be automatically land in the recipient’s spam folder) for sending a lot of promotional emails (cold emails) there is a good way to gain back the reputation from, say, Google (postmasters) by simply getting a lot of people to un-spam your email and get your emails out of their promotions folder. One simple way to do this is to open a Facebook group and get the members to do the above while giving them some incentive like free coupons etc.
- Chirayu has also put a ‘mark as spam’ link in his emails so when people click on it they actually land on their website. So his purpose is also served in this way. The reader may feel cheated hence its totally your call to use this or not.
- In Chirayu’s experience Tuesday at 4PM was the best time to push out bulk emails for MyOperator. This metric will vary on many factors like what is your product about, at which day of the week/month your customers need your product or service etc. Which date and time is suitable for your product can be determined only by hit-n-trial and observations.
- Replace spammy words like ‘discount’ with ‘waiver’ and ‘chance’ with ‘opportunity’. There are bots that detect them and rank down your emails. This is an email ethic that even novice marketers should be aware of.
To stay updated about all of our upcoming events sign up to our newsletter.
Some of our upcoming events are:
Written by Nitin Joseph :)