We are really glad to host these 3 investors at our next HelloBreakfast meetup, where founders get to meet one of the top investors in the city over breakfast.
Here’s why we are so glad?
Utsav Somani, India Head, Angel List & Angel Investor
- Utsav Somani is a young Tech and Start-up enthusiast. He’s presently the India Head of Angel List — where the world meets startups. Along with this, he is also working in his family business and looking after it’s African expansion.
- He has angel invested in more than 10 companies. Here are a few of them:
Testbook — One-stop online test preparation
AdpushUp — Ad revenue optimization for web publishers
NexGear — Future of wearable technology
ShepHertz — Complete cloud ecosystem for app developers
Capabiliti — Mobile Assessments, Training & Data collection
DoorMint — Mobile platform for on-demand home services
LogiNext — Big Data for Logistics
FabBag — Subscription based beauty commerce
Zippr — Short code for physical addresses
Betaout — Behavioural marketing personalisation for e-commerce
Truce — Farm to Fridge for fruits, vegetables & dairy
Bounty — Rewards redefined
Innov8 — Coworking spaces for developing markets
Tavaga — Financial services for the internet generation
- He is looking out for new opportunities in Consumer Internet, Robotics, Fin & Edu-tech, Pharma, FMCG & Hi-tech Manufacturing. Start-ups with high-growth potential, driven by an dedicated team, addressing under-captured market excite him.
- He’s been completely sector agnostic in terms of assessing companies but tends to stay away from spaces which require high capital investments and highly specialized talent — as working capital deployment and lack of expertise seem to be the biggest reasons for downfall of companies and the dreams that go along with it.
As the famous Silicon Valley VC firm — Andreesen Horowitz says, “Software is Eating the World”
- His keen interests — Angel Investing, Seed Stage Investing, Technology Start-Ups, Management Consulting, Innovation Management, Product Innovation, Innovation & Entrepreneurship, African Agro-Entrepreneurship, Global Market Investment, Startup Evangelism, Technology Management.
- Currently handling the India investments of VilCap Investments which is the Venture Capital arm of Village Capital that finds, trains, and invests in early-stage entrepreneurs with business solutions to major global problems.
- Before this he was the Delhi Chapter Head of Mumbai Angels. Has extensive experience of closing seed stage investments from end to end.
- VilCap invests in 5 sectors — Education, Healthcare, FinTech, Clean Energy and Agriculture.
- Indian Portfolio Companies (a few of them): Simpa Networks, iKure, Milaap, Pravata Foods, SevaMob, Experifun. Globally, we have a portfolio of nearly 60 companies.
- Startups must have — Great team with the right execution abilities; Need to be solving a real on ground problem which impacts the masses rather than just building international clones; Big market size and solid business fundamentals.
- Karan is currently All Things Execution for Venture Highway (www.venturehighway.vc), an early-stage fund based out of New Delhi. He has over eight years of experience in Investment Banking and Venture Capital / Angel Investments across Asia and Canada, worked with ABN AMRO in Hong Kong in their Mergers and Acquisitions / Equity Capital Markets division where he helped advise clients in South- east Asia.
- Interested to invest in — I look for asset-light, technologically efficient businesses. Current focus areas are: Fintech, HR, Enterprise and Health.
- Portfolio Companies — Over 10 investments including: Moglix, Deal4Loans, ShareChat, Meesho and Betterplace. These are all done in syndication with some marquee investors / venture capital firms.
What I look for in a Startup?
- The problem statement
- TEAM! TEAM! TEAM!
- Disruption quotient
- How much value can we add to the startup? It is important for us to be able to help entrepreneurs rather than be passive investors
Some of the Investors / VC’s who have been a part of our previous meetups:
Looking forward to meeting you all and building friendships.
Found this post useful? Kindly tap the ❤ button below! :)
OUR UPCOMING INVESTORS MEETUP